Here are some cool things that caught my eye from the black community in September 2021.
“To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time. – James Baldwin.”
- Yusef Salem of the exonerated five is running for Harlem state senate.
- The state of Georgia declared September 9, Otis Redding Day on the singers 80th birthday.
- Maia Chaka became first African American woman to referee an NFL game. The NFL will also be playing the black national anthem before every contest.
- Jaleel Stallings was acquitted of all charges after shooting at police officers in self defense at a protest for George Floyd.
- Two HBCU student athletes class action lawsuit against the NCAA citing racial discrimination was allowed to move forward.
- Rickia Young won a two million dollar settlement from the city of Philadelphia after she was beaten by police officers in front of her child while she was attempting to drive around a protest.
- A Colorado grand jury indicts police officers and paramedics in 2019 death of 23 year old black man Elijah McClain.
- Minnesota became the first state to launch a special victims unit for missing and killed black women on September 20th.
- HBCU scholar Mikayla Harris of earned a 15,000 Astronaut Scholarship
- Ex Louisiana state trooper Joseph Brown was found guilty for beating a black man named Aaron Bowman with a flashlight.
The border crisis in Texas is horrible. Houston Hatians United is a non profit that works to help clothe feed and house Hatian Immigrants as well as provide them with pathways to citizenship.